I’m Ky-Cuong Huynh! Welcome to my personal blog and newsletter, where I write about how things work, how they break, and how to make them better. During the week, I'm a software engineer. On the weekends, I can usually be found reading/writing/cooking indoors and swimming/climbing/hiking outdoors. I'm also certified as a Wilderness EMT, Open Water Diver, and Level 1 Freediver.
For the curious, “Ky-Cuong” is my first name and pronounced “key-coon” as in a “key to open a cocoon”. “Huynh” is my last name and pronounced “win” as in “win the race”.
For the extra-curious, the painting above is one of my favorite works of art and symbolizes the grand arc of human progress to which I want to contribute. The cover image on the homepage is from Ruslan Bardash on Unsplash. It symbolizes self-transcendence and taking a broader perspective.
On My Mind
Here are some example questions I find fascinating:
- Why is primary pandemic prevention so under-valued compared to pandemic response?
- What will happen with artificial intelligence (AI) this century and what should we do about it?
- What kind of public policy changes would it take to move our societies onto the justice-efficiency frontier?
- What will people in 1,000 years think of as the obvious moral catastrophes of today?
- Why are mochi muffins so delicious?